Unwanted body hair can be distressing and embarrassing. It can affect the way that you view yourself and make you less confident. Laser hair reduction can permanently remove unwanted hair and leave your skin smooth and never again in need of waxing or shaving. If you are looking for a more permanent solution to unwanted hair, then look no further. Laser hair reduction is the answer.
What is Laser Hair Reduction?
It is the process of removing unwanted hair by using a laser that passes through the skin and targets individual hair follicles. The intense heat from the laser damages the hair follicle which then prohibits new hair growth. Many areas can be treated including the face, arms, legs, bikini area and the back. On average takes 6-8 treatments are needed to achieve optimal results. Some individuals may require additional follow-up treatments.
What are the benefits?
Precision-The laser targets only the hair follicles and leaves the surrounding skin undamaged.
Speed-The treatments are short and relatively painless. Most clients will only need 4-6 sessions to achieve optimal results.
Convenience-Imagine never having to shave or wax again!
Confidence-Get rid of those unwanted hairs! No need to worry anymore about sensitive skin and razor burns. No longer will you need to hide those hairy areas that you work so hard to cover. You can step out confidently in a bathing suit or tank top!
What are the risks?
This is an FDA approved procedure and there are very few risks. The only possible side effects are skin irritation and pigment changes. Skin irritation is generally temporary and usually subsides after a few hours. The skin may lighten or darken in the area also temporarily. This generally also goes away within a short amount of time.
How should I prepare?
1. Avoid waxing within six weeks of your treatment. Waxing removes hair at its root and we want to use the laser to target the root. It is also important to avoid tweezing.
3. You need to shave the area right before you come for your treatment. This allows the laser better access to the roots.
2. Avoid sun exposure and self tanners six weeks before and after treatments. Any tanning of the skin could result in pigmentation of the skin in the areas that are lasered.
What should I expect during my treatment?
You and the aesthetician will both wear protective eyewear during the treatment. While you are being treated, we use our Zimmer cooling device to help numb and cool the area. We also use ice packs to help numb and cool the area if needed. You will be sent home with a cooling gel to help with any burning or discomfort.
Post Care Instructions
• Immediately after the treatment there may be redness and small bumps at the treatment area which may last up to 48 hrs. It is normal for the area to feel like mild sunburn during this time. We recommend using a post laser gel or cream after treatment.
• Avoid sun exposure to the area for at least 48 hrs. An SPF of at least 30 should be used at all times throughout the series of treatments. Tanning and self-tanning lotions should be avoided throughout the series of treatments.
• Do not use any other hair removal treatment products or treatments that will disturb the hair follicle (tweezing, plucking, and waxing) in the treatment area. Shaving may be used.
• Anywhere from 2-4 weeks after the treatment, shedding of the hair will occur and may appear as new hair growth. This is NOT new hair growth, but rather the dead hair pushing its way out of the follicle. You can clean and remove the hair by using gentle exfoliation with a cloth or loofa.
• There are no restrictions on bathing except to treat the skin gently for the first 48 hours.
• Hair re-growth occurs at different rates for different areas of the body. Return for treatment between 4-8 weeks, depending on area being treated.
• Call LaserDerm Skin Care at 610-325-2865 with any questions.